The website of Stadswonen Rotterdam uses cookies. Do not show this window again.


You’ve just signed your regular or student rental agreement. Of course, you want to set yourself up in your new room or flat as soon as possible. You can move into your new unit from the start date of your rental agreement.

When and from whom you will be receiving the keys to your new unit depends both on the type of keys and the residential complex you are moving into. There are two types of keys:

  1. Metal keys
    You can pick these keys up at our office or from the residential manager of your residential building on the start date of your tenancy agreement. We will set an appointment for you when you sign the tenancy agreement for your unit.
  2. Smart card
    Smart cards are programmed to start working as of the first date of your tenancy agreement. If you need a smart card for your unit, it will be provided to you when you sign the tenancy agreement.

You will be provided with two identical keys. If you are moving into your new home together with someone else, you will receive a total of three keys. The arrangements for letterbox keys vary from one residential complex to the next. In most cases you will find the letterbox key waiting for you in the unit when you move in.

Ordering extra keys

You have the option of ordering a spare key. The costs of this extra key are EUR 19.50. If you would like an extra key, please phone us. If the key is already in stock, you can pick it up at our office with one business day. Be sure to take along valid proof of identity (your passport or ID card) when you come by to pick up the spare key.

Authorising someone to pick up your spare key

You can also authorise someone else to collect you extra key at our office. This authorised representative needs to bring along the following items:

  • A signed authorisation form with your signature as well as the date of signing and the full name of the authorised representative;
  • A photocopy of your passport or ID card;
  • A photocopy of the representative’s own passport or ID card.

I lost my key or locked myself out

Did you lose your key or lock yourself out? Here’s how to solve this situation.

  • Contact us by phone during office hours to request if a spare key is direct available. Then drop by our office during office hours. A copy of your key will cost you EUR 19.50.
    Did you get locked out after office hours?
  • In that case you will have to call our emergency number. We will send over a locksmith to open your door for you. Please note: the charges for a locksmith’s services are around EUR 150, and these costs will be passed on to you.

We will ensure that the unit is in a proper condition before you move in. The unit’s condition at the time of let will be recorded with the aid of an inspection form. A copy of this form can be found in the unit. Have you come across issues that weren’t recorded on the inspection form? In that case, report these issues via mijn Stadswonen within seven calendar days of the start date of your rental agreement. We will subsequently set an appointment. Someone will come over to inspect the reported issues, after which we will inform you of our conclusion. Where required, we will send over technical staff to repair or resolve the reported issues.

In accordance with the Wet Gemeentelijke Basisadministratie (Municipal Population Register Act, GBA), you are required to register with the Municipality of Rotterdam within five days of the start date of your rental agreement.
To this end, you will need a Lessor’s Statement, which you will be provided with by Stadswonen Rotterdam.

Visit the municipal website for further information on registering with the Municipality of Rotterdam.

Of course you’ll want to decorate your room, studio or flat according to your own preferences. Paint your wall in a nicer colour or put up different curtains. You’re free to make changes of this kind – as long as when you move out, you leave the unit in the same state you received it in (including the original floor covering and curtains).

Would you like to make more radical changes, or are you considering installing new facilities in your unit? In that case you’ll need to apply for permission via Stadswonen Portal. When you apply for permission, you will receive one of the following responses:

  1. You are allowed to make the change. This alteration does not have to be reverted when you move out.
  2. You are allowed to make the change, provided you restore the unit to its original condition when you move out.
  3. You are not allowed to make the change.

The possible maintenance and repair of any facilities you install yourself are your responsibility.