The website of Stadswonen Rotterdam uses cookies. Do not show this window again.

Moving house

Moving house

Will you be moving to a different unit, or moving to housing that is not operated by Stadswonen Rotterdam? In that case, simply notify us via 'mijn Stadswonen'. As a tenant, please take a notice period of one month into account.

Are you currently set up in a room, but would you like to move up to a studio? Or did you just graduate and are you dreaming about an affordable flat of your own? Perhaps move in with your partner? We’re happy to accommodate you. Moving house within Stadswonen Rotterdam’s own stock is called a ‘housing career’.

Re-registering as a Stadswonen Rotterdam tenant

Your existing registration expires the moment you sign the tenancy agreement for your new place. Would you like to continue moving within Stadswonen’s housing stock? Then be sure to re-register as soon as possible. This internal registration costs a one-off fee of EUR 15. To re-register, simply follow the instructions on Stadswonen Portal.

As a re-registered tenant, your registration term increases at twice the rate of non-tenants. This promotes a more fluid rental market, in which you can move up more quickly to units that suit your changing circumstances. And when you move to a different unit, the one you leave behind is freed up for a new tenant.

Giving notice

When you move to a different Stadswonen unit, you will be required to give notice for your existing tenancy agreement. The notice period is one month, so be sure to give notice on time. To give notice for your tenancy agreement, log in at Stadswonen Portal. When giving notice, be sure to take careful account of the notice period, the overlap between the terms of your old and new tenancy agreements, the costs of rent and possible additional charges. To limit the period in which you are required to pay rent for two units, give notice as early as possible. This way you can minimise the overlap between your old and new tenancy agreements. Since the start date for the new tenancy agreement follows directly on your old agreement, overlap is inevitable: you will always have to plan a brief period of double tenancy in which you can actually move house.

Signing the new tenancy agreement

You will only be allowed to sign the tenancy agreement for your new unit if all outstanding bills for your previous unit have been paid in full and you have proven to be a good tenant (i.e. you have not caused any nuisance for your neighbours or housemates, have consistently paid your rent on time and have adhered to all the stipulations of your tenancy agreement).

To give notice for your tenancy agreement, log in at Stadswonen Portal. When giving notice, be sure to take careful account of the notice period, the overlap between the terms of your old and new tenancy agreements, the costs of rent and possible additional charges.

Notice period for your tenancy contract

The notice period for the tenancy agreement is one month, regardless of which day of the month you give notice. If the end date for your agreement falls on the weekend or a public holiday, the very next regular week day is taken to be your end date.

You are renting via your employer or educational institution

If you are renting the unit via your employer or educational institution, the notice period may be subject to different agreements. If you are not sure which agreements apply, please contact Stadswonen.

Cancelling your notice

Did you recently give notice for your tenancy agreement, but have you changed your mind? In that case, you will have to pay a EUR 100 charge for administrative costs. To avoid this, please carefully consider what you will be doing before terminating your tenancy agreement.

Sometimes it’s simply nicer to live together with one or more friends, or to move in with your partner. This is possible on some of the units offered by Stadswonen Rotterdam.


It’s not common for two or more rooms in a residential building or on a floor to become available at precisely the same time. The best chance for you and your friend or partner to live together in the same building or on the same floor is when one of you is already a resident. The next time a room becomes available in the building, the existing resident opts for selection by ballot (called hospiteren in Dutch). His or her friend is then free to respond to the advertised room. If the candidate is high enough on the list, the existing resident is allowed to choose this candidate as his or her new housemate. Of course, in cases where multiple housemates are involved, the decision will naturally need to be taken in consultation. Please keep in mind that the person responding to the advert has to have a high enough spot on the waiting list to be eligible as a candidate.


The maximum occupancy for a studio unit is one person. In other words, you are not allowed to live together with someone else in a studio.


You are allowed to live together in one of our flats. This is based on the assumption that you will be living together with your partner. If you prefer to live together with a friend or family member rather than a partner, please keep in mind that some flats are more suited to this kind of arrangement than others. This information is included in the details on flats that are listed as available on our website.

To qualify for a unit in which you can live together with your partner, only one of the prospective partners needs to be registered with Stadswonen Rotterdam. In other words: either you or your partner has to be registered with us.

According to the General Tenancy Terms and Conditions, departing tenants are required to empty out the unit when they vacate it. There are three exceptions to this rule:

  1. In some cases we provided the unit with furniture and/or other items.
    Naturally, these items are included with the unit in question and should be left behind.
  2. Movable property that has been sold on to the new tenant.
    When you leave, you can offer to sell personal belongings such as your bed, wardrobe and sofa to the tenant who will be moving in. Please contact us if you are interested in doing so. If we know in advance who will be moving into your vacated unit, we can bring you in touch with one another.
  3. Movables that have been sold on to your current housemate or housemates.
    This may apply when you’re vacating a room. It is specifically relevant to movables set up in communal areas.

Taking over furniture and other items

The new tenant is allowed to view your unit before moving in. When desired, we can bring him or her in touch with you. For you, this is a good opportunity to offer any movables you are considering leaving behind for sale. Are you able to reach an agreement with the new tenant or one of your old housemates? In that case please jointly complete the declaration takeover movable property before the date of the final inspection.

After you have given notice, we will send you a confirmation of receipt. Among other things, this confirmation will include two proposed dates and times for the final inspection of your unit.

Preliminary inspection of the unit

We will jointly check the current state of your unit with you. Are you renting a room? In that case we will also check all the complex’s communal areas. Be sure to carefully prepare for this inspection by reading the transfer requirements.

Any aspects that still need to be resolved or repaired before you can transfer the unit will be recorded on the inspection. Please use the period between this preliminary inspection and the final inspection to resolve all recorded issues.

Please note that you will be charged an administration fee of EUR 22.50 if you are absent on the agreed-upon inspection date.

Final inspection of the unit

The final inspection of your unit is always scheduled on the expiration date of your tenancy agreement. On this occasion we will visit the unit with you one last time for a final check. We will check whether you have adequately repaired and resolved all issues flagged during the preliminary inspection. Any issues where this is not the case will be resolved by Stadswonen Rotterdam at your expense. Make sure to avoid the high costs that this entails by resolving the recorded issues yourself in a timely and correct manner.

Inspection dates

Are you unable to fit the proposed dates and/or times in your schedule? In that case, contact us as soon as possible. In some cases we can adapt the planning. The only exception is the date of the final inspection, which is always scheduled on the final day of your rental agreement.

Is there no way you can personally attend the inspection? In that case you are allowed to authorise someone to represent you. This applies to both inspections.

  • Authorise your representative to attend the preliminary and/or final inspection of your unit on your behalf. To this end, use the relevant authorisation form. This form is included as an appendix to our letter confirming the receipt of your notice of cancellation.
  • Provide your representative with a photocopy of your proof of identity (passport or ID card).
  • Make sure your authorised representative can present valid proof of identity during the inspection or inspections.

You will be sent a final bill in the case of:

  • Unpaid rental charges.
  • Repairs to the vacated unit by order of Stadswonen Rotterdam.

In the above cases you will be sent a final bill within one month of the expiration date of your rental agreement. This final bill incorporates any unpaid rental charges and possible costs of repairs to your unit.

The rent for your unit includes service charges. A large share of these charges are advances that are settled with the actual costs at the end of each calendar year. If actual costs are lower than the advances you have paid, the difference will be returned to you. And if actual costs exceed the total of paid advances, you will be required to make up the difference. You will receive the settlement of your service charges no later than six months after the end of the calendar year. We refer you to the PDF about service charges for a more detailed explanation.

During the final inspection, you will be required to hand in all keys belonging to the vacated unit. This includes any possible spare or replacement keys that you have ordered from Stadswonen during your tenancy. If we do not receive the full set of keys, we will be required to change the locks to your unit. The costs of this measure, which are quite considerable, will be passed on to you.

Moving house isn’t something you do every day. So you’ve given notice, packed up and made sure your unit is left behind in a proper state – but what else do you need to think of before loading up?

  • Be sure to notify everyone of your change of address on time.
  • Arrange for the new tenant and/or your former housemates to hold on to any post that still comes in after your move. Or, even better: get them to forward it to your new address.
  • Don’t forget to register your new address with the Municipality within five days of moving.
  • Do you receive a housing allowance? In that case you’ll need to inform the Tax and Customs Administration of your change of address.
  • Do you have other contracts with Stadswonen Rotterdam – for a parking space and/or storage space, for example? In that case you’ll probably want to give notice or change your address for these agreements too.
  • Make sure to cancel or change the addresses of all your subscriptions (newspaper, ISP, telephone and the like).
  • Don’t throw or dump any bulky waste, rubble or chemical waste in or next to the curb-side waste containers. You can dispose of your bulky waste at the civic amenity site free of charge. Are you unable to transport the bulky waste yourself, or think it’s too much of a hassle? In that case you can call municipal waste collector Roteb and arrange for them to pick it up.